Tuesday, May 7, 2019

Happy Mother's Day!



One thing I know for certain is that my mama loves me. A few other things about my mom that I know: She read the Bible, She always has unconditional love for her family, She adores all of her grand-kids and She is pretty darn smitten with my dad! I know she has prayed for me and my sister daily for years. Lord knows, we sure did need it at times. I wanted to create something this year for my mom that she could hang on her wall and always be reminded that she is LOVED too! You know that wacky fun kind of Cochran LoVe!

You see our family likes to sing, dance and do art. (And take photos - Thanks, Taylor County Printing Company, Inc. for the use of the dark room while we were growing up in Reynolds, Georgia!) I think this post sums it all up in pictures. It is our creativity outlet that both of our parents fostered that has helped us become who we are today.


Lyrics to All I Ever Need Is You
by Sonny and Cher

Sometimes when I'm down and all alone
Just like a child without a home
The love you give me keeps me hangin' on
Oh honey, all I ever need is you
You're my first love, you're my last
You're my future, you're my past
And loving you is all I ask, honey
All I ever need is you
Winters come and they go, and we watch the melting snow
Sure as summer follows spring, all the things you do
Give me a reason to build my world around you
Some men follow rainbows, I am told
Some men search for silver some for gold
I have found my treasure in your soul, honey
All I ever need is you
Without love I'd never find the way
Through ups and downs of every single day
I won't sleep at night until you say, my honey
All I ever need is you


I know yall are thinking this is more of an Anniversary post, but I feel strongly that it is more of a Mother's Day post. Why? One of the best gifts that a kid can have is for their parents to LOVE each other. I am confident this is true for us. This is something that I strive for in my marriage...

I don't want Mary Frances to ever feel like (left brain) dear hubby and I didn't have a strong marriage. One of the best gifts we can give her is to fight through this CRAZY thing called life no matter what comes our way. And, we have seen CrAzY over her life span. I could write a book on that for sure.



How did the post come to be? Well, I wanted to create something for mom that would be meaningful to us all for Mother's Day 2019. You see my dad has a play list on his phone and this song from Sonny and Cher is on it. I think he listens to it daily. I remember as a child, I loved watching the Sonny and Cher show. No joke! I would sit and watch it every night that it came on live television. Remember, I turn 50 this coming October '19, so this was before DVR's, Dish, Direct TV and Netflix. Oh and it was before the invention of the TV remote. Let that sink in...

Such good times on Edgewood Drive in Butler, Georgia. Mom was a huge supporter of us playing outside back in the day. We would skate, ride bikes, ride motorcycles, jump on trampoline, and above all play Kick the Can with all of our neighborhood friends.




A few years ago down here in Tallahassee, we cleaned out the playroom and made it a TV room for kids upstairs. In the playroom we had an old guitar. I painted it Ice Blue and left it in my art studio for a couple of years. I just felt like one day I would have the perfect idea for this guitar. I did. I had a huge "Ah Ha Moment" ...As I was leaving work on Friday, I thought...Man, I need to paint something this weekend. Yep, art is good for my soul. I can tell when I don't make time for this. Dan likes to work in the yard - not me! My dad likes to fish and throw on the wheel. Bobo likes to make things for others. Yes, we inherited this from both mom and dad. My sister likes to create too. Mary Frances loves to work out and create. We all have our different ways of dealing with life. I wanted to be mindful and authentic for this year's Mother's Day gift. So, this hit me on the way home from work. Create something for Mother's Day. So, Saturday morning I got up and did just that. I am so excited about this piece that I couldn't wait to post on Mother's Day...so it is early!



I used acrylic paint to paint some funky flowers on the top and stripes on the side. I let that dry and used a Sharpie to write the lyrics. Then I decided that I needed to folk art it up. So, the beads and wire came into play. I have a photo of mom and dad on a bike. I thought this would symbolize their journey through life together. So I found it. Printed it and laminated it on to the handle of the guitar. 






This is the truest statement ever. Love is patient!  
1 Corinthians 3: 4-8

4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 
5 It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 
6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 
7 It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. 
8 Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away.












This is the guitar in my work space. When it was a work in progress.


This photo has all the feels for me. I love my mom and dad. I am grateful for the grandparents that they are to Mary Frances. Yep, growing up - Maffie was able to enjoy some of those ole' southern ways down in Georgia. Dad would grow tomatoes and squash and my mom would fry them up for her. Back then, this was a huge treat. Yes, we all loved mom's fried green tomatoes.

Sonny and Cher, bless you for writing a song that resonates with my family. Here is a shout out to you both for your talents. I know my parents have a special bond that Nicholas Sparks could make a movie of...not kidding. The Notebook, https://nicholassparks.com/stories/the-notebook/  you ain't got nothing on this love story! 


Yup, I am a hopeless romantic. I have watched this movie multiple times! Best quotes ever.


Very thankful over the years that I always had my mom to answer my many questions. I mean I have had many over the years from cornbread recipes to raising a kid but not directions. Ha! She was never to good at reading a map and neither am I. This must skip a generation as Maffie is like a walking Rand McNally https://store.randmcnally.com/ 

Mom, you are the best. You helped me deal with mean girls and then mean mama's once I became and adult with my own child. She would say to me, "Mean girls grow up to be mean mamas..." She was so right but she also allowed me to acquire the skills that I needed to deal with this type of situation. And, if you know us personally, then you know we have dealt with our fair share of snowplow parents along the way. I am here to tell you we have handled all kind of CRAZY and you were right there with me being my cheerleader as I set an example for Maffie. Bless you...

We have laughed and cried over broken hearts, good and bad grades - whoosh, Mrs. Cooley at WHS and my Geometry Class. I passed. She hired me a tutor. Well, it was Dan (left brain), and now he is my husband. I think she knew what she was doing back then. She would cook. He would hunt with Bobo and help me study. He just never left. I think you knew we were soul mates way back when I was 14.

When I think of some of your sayings, I just smile. Your Elaine'isms are the best. Yes, we have used them on Callie, Rob and Maffie:
"You better straighten up and fly right!"
"2 wrongs don't make a right..."
"Kim, if people are talking about you they are on a good subject."
"Life is not one big entertainement!"
"Life is not a bowl of cherries..."
"What goes around comes around."
"Pretty is - is pretty does."


Mom, you always have my best interest at heart and I love that about you!
You were hip and trending before it was the cool way to raise your kids in this manner. One thing I know for sure is you got that mama thing right. You gave Karen and I the confidence to tackle anything. I do believe with your encouragement I have been able to do anything that I set my mind to over the years. 


Other blog post we have written on our mom:














A very Happy EaRlY Mother's Day to my mom and a huge shout out to my dad for just being you and loving all of us through thick and thin!



My Mother’s Hands by Te' Werner

My Mother’s Hands
Hands that hold our family together.
Hands that express love and beauty.
Hands that make one feel safe.
Hands that stroke brows to ease worry and pain.
Hands that sew, mend and iron clothes.
Hands that knead dough and bake cookies.
Hands that prune roses and plant flowers.
Hands that write words of encouragement and belief.
Hands that gather wood and build fires.
Hands that rub sore muscles and heal.
Hands that create and wrap gifts.
Honest hands. Giving hands.
Scarred hands. Working hands.
Praying hands.
Hands that have held hope and longing.
Hands that have nestled soft babies and grandsons.
Hands that have wiped tears and caressed cheeks.
Hands that have clutched heartache and loss.
Hands that have flipped burgers, canned and cooked many meals.
Hands that have worked the soil, fed animals and seeded fields.
Hands that have hung IV bags and passed instruments.
Hands that have made beds and pulled up our covers.
Hands that have strewn popcorn and decorated trees.
Hands that have washed, brushed and curled hair.
Hands that have soothed many souls.
Strong hands. Loving hands.
Holding unto dreams and faith.

A blessing to behold. The gift of my mother’s hands.

Thanks, Mama, for always holding my hand.
I Love you!
xox 1969
Kim


No comments:

Post a Comment