Monday, June 3, 2024

Elaine P Cochran Memorial Art Award, Come Together Art Show 2024

The Elaine Cochran Memorial Award is selected by the juror to honor exceptional artistic talent and vision in a work featured in the exhibition. This tribute to my mom reflects her deep love for the arts and her legacy, carried on by her two daughters who are both art teachers.

Mama would love this idea and the explanation of her award. Her memorial award goes to the student who exhibits outstanding imagination, originality, and foresight in their artistic pursuits. This award celebrates individuals who continually challenge conventional thinking, exploring new perspectives, techniques, and mediums with creativity and flair. Recipients of the award not only create visually stunning artworks but also inspire others with their unique visions and ability to transform ideas into captivating creations.

Mary Clayton holds a special place in my heart too. I taught her art in elementary school. She and her sister are both super artistic and it has been a pleasure to watch them grow artistically from elementary to high school. 


So here is a funny story. I have actually blogged on Mary Clayton before. Yes, I have. Click here to see the post. Thanks to Renee for making it happen way back in 2015. Renee has been featured here on the blog in the past. She was MC's classroom teacher and she taught 1969's daughter in 3rd grade. So, when I found out MC was getting my mom's award...you better believe that I reached out to Renee to come to the Art Show. Renee is retired but she is still present for many of her former student's lives. What a blessing. Renee is the epitome of a True Teacher through and through.



We have blogged on mom's award before, check below for more details:


This clay owl is a fitting symbol for this award. Both my sister and I were Chi Omegas, at UGA and the owl represents our sorority. I feel certain that MC did not know this fun fact about us. Crazy thing is for years, our mom would collect fun funky owls for us. As a bird of wisdom, it serves as a reminder of our commitment to the lifelong pursuit of knowledge and understanding. And, another fun fact here...our dad loves to throw on the wheel. We have blogged on him before too. You can check out this link below to see some of his work.


Our Visual Arts team may be small, but it is mighty. With passion and dedication, our talented members bring a wealth of creativity and expertise to every project. Their collaborative spirit and commitment to excellence foster an inspiring environment where students can thrive and explore their artistic potential. Together, we have achieved remarkable results, proving that a tight-knit team can have a big impact in the world of art. They are the reason this Come Together Art Show is a HUGE success. Blessed that in this process we get to honor our mom.


Huge shout out to Mr. Right Brain, aka my amazing husband, and his company for generously funding this award in memory of my mom. His support for me as an art teacher is unwavering, and his dedication to honoring my mother's legacy through this award means the world to me. His love for my mom and his commitment to the arts are truly inspiring. I'm incredibly grateful to have such a thoughtful and supportive partner by my side, championing both my work and the creative community we cherish.

I have blogged on Dan before, check it out on the link below:




If you want to learn more about our Come Together Art Show click the links below:


Losing our mama has left a big hole in our hearts, but we feel warm knowing her legacy lives on through this award. Mama was full of love and creativity, always making life brighter for others. Her desire to help and lift up those around her continues to inspire us. This award is more than just a way to remember her; it shows how much she still matters. It encourages others to follow their dreams with the same kindness and passion she showed 1965 and me growing up. Even though we miss her a lot, it makes us happy to know her spirit lives on in those who receive this award and carry on her beautiful legacy. 

1969

1 comment:

  1. Hey friends! I had an incredible experience at a hearing clinic in NYC that I just have to share. For years, I’ve been struggling with hearing loss, and it was starting to affect my daily life. The audiologists were incredibly knowledgeable and compassionate. They took the time to listen to my concerns and conducted detailed tests to pinpoint the exact issues. The hearing care solutions they offered were fantastic and tailored specifically to my needs. Now, I can hear so much better, and it’s made such a positive impact on my life. If you’re dealing with hearing issues, you should definitely check out these hearing care solutions. You won’t regret it!

    ReplyDelete