Wednesday, April 19, 2017

The Art in the Notes of a First Year Medical Student

Last year, my daughter started medical school.  Obviously, I have been very aware of the life of a medical student.  What I thought was true, and what was true, are very different.  I had always imagined medical school with students constantly solving equations and math problems.  I certainly never imagined notes with diagrams, color, and ART!  As an art teacher, I proudly share my daughter's many pages of beautiful notes.  
Many have asked what medical school is like.  I cannot say what it is like as a student, but I can tell you what it is like as a mom.  
I get a text each morning around 7:00 AM on Monday thru Thursday.  We say good morning and have a good day.  Most days, my daughter checks in midday and gives me some news.  Today, she checked in to tell me that 20 of her friends had met at her favorite restaurant for lunch to celebrate her birthday (🎈🎉🎇🍨😊).  When I am ready for bed, I always text her goodnight and say, "Love you!"
On Friday morning, I text her at 6:00 AM because she has to get up and study.  Friday is quiz day.  
Honestly, I know medical school is hard.  I know that most days are endless studying.  I know that there is stress every minute.  
But...
My daughter is pursuing her dream.  She is learning her passion.  She is doing her passion.  And sometimes, she gets to do a passion that we share- A R T!🎨

I know this is just a post of notes, but these notes are music to her mama's eyes.  Any art that is done, is a challenge for the mind. With my daughter, I KNOW that creativity and art have impacted the way she thinks and the way she solves problems.  
If I am sick, I want a doctor that been influenced by creative people. I want a doctor that has been forced to think a little differently than other doctors.  I want a doctor with a steady hand, like an artist!

How about Ray Charles?  What kind of doctor does he want?  He does not need a doctor.  Sorry, Cal!

1965

No comments:

Post a Comment