Friday, July 15, 2016

Second Grade Surfers


I live in Georgia.  In Georgia, lots of kids go to the beach.  The many options include:  St. Simons, Georgia, St. George Island, Florida, Ormond Beach, Florida, Panama City, Florida, Mexico Beach, Florida, Hilton Head Island, South Carolina, and Destin, Florida.  Georgia really is a great state.  We have the mountains in the north and the beaches in the south.  We have four seasons and summer is a always hot one!  Atlanta is our big city and has lots of arts and culture.  Macon is home of The Allman Brothers and Little Richard.  Athens is the home of R.E.M. and The B-52s.  Small towns sprinkle over the entire state and boast the biggest peaches and watermelons.  I love my state.
 
 
Here is the art of my second graders as they dreamed of surfing on the beach. 
 
Directions:
 
I talked the kids through drawing a wave.  Boy, this was fun.
 
Then, they added themselves and lots of details. (corner suns, clouds, birds)
 
They kids painted with tempera paint.  I had pre-mixed the green and blue. 
 
Final results below.  The first dude is scared.  He must see Jaws in the distance.
 


 
 
Fun project and yes, my kids did make it to the beach.  Here's a couple of cool photos that I snagged off of Facebook of my "beach bum" students.
 
Clever and creative parents, don't you think?
 
 
 
 Leif Garret singing The Beach Boys "Surfin' USA" in 1977.  I was a big Leif fan.  What teenage girl wasn't in the 70s? 
 

 
1965

No comments:

Post a Comment