Monday, September 26, 2016

Me and My Sign, Showing School Spirit

In the first month of school, I was struggling with a project that I liked for first grade.  After discussing this problem with my teacher friend, Laura Harrison, she had a suggestion.  Laura said, "Why don't you get kids to draw a self portrait with them saying something about first grade?  She said, You can have them holding a sign."  I jumped on this idea.  There is nothing better than having a great co-worker to bounce ideas back and forth with in a crunch!

Directions:

I cut a rather large sheet of paper.
I drew a rectangle on each paper.
When the kids arrived, I explained the project idea.
I had them draw themselves holding the sign.
The kids painted with tempera cakes.

Here is a funny.  One of the little girls had to go to the restroom.  I guess she could not remember my name.  She says, "Mrs. Artica, may I go the the restroom?"  I cracked up.  I told that sweet child, "That's not my name.  I am Mrs. Ray.''  

Hey, at least she did have the word Art in my name.

You gotta love those fun first graders!

Here is a perfect song for this post by The Ting Tings.

1965

No comments:

Post a Comment