Friday, September 16, 2016

5th Grade Showing Off Their David Shillinglaws!


Ever heard of David Shillinglaw?  Here is a link to his website. (Click here for David Shillinglaw's page)

Well, he is a London based artist born of British parents in 1982 in the Middle East.  He graduated from Central Saint Martins in 2002 and he has exhibited in galleries in Japan, China, The Gambia, Holland, and key cities such as NY, London, Berlin, and Istanbul. 

After I saw some of Shillinglaw's artwork online, I really wanted to do a project based on his art.  Luckily, I found a video on YouTube that really helped me in teaching this art lesson.

Here is a picture of David with one of his large murals.


Directions:

To introduce the project, I showed the video below.



I used the pictures below to provide the kids examples of this mural that David did in the video in Turkey.  To obtain the pictures, I used my Ipad to screenshot parts of the video to have pictures of the actual mural.  Also, many students used parts of the video to complete the project.  I had to stop and start the video numerous times.


To have a "mural effect" for display, the kids had to use the same color for their background paint. 
The kids chose the items they wanted to paint.  After painting, they outlined in oil pastels.  I mounted each piece of art on black paper.





1965

No comments:

Post a Comment