Tuesday, January 18, 2011

concrete patch and ma winnie's stuff and cell phones and the grateful dead and eddie munster

by karen #1965 third grade teacher now i did this cell phone a few years ago...i decided that i would do this project specifically for the local fair that rolls around every october...so...here is what i did...

first...what about those ugly numbers on this picture...8/10/2006...they are UGLY!...here is how the cement cell phone came to be...you see, i was doing the art at vacation Bible school...and we were using concrete patch to make stepping stones...and i was a mess...had cement all over me...so i was squirting myself off and squirted my shorts...and my cell phone...and i killed it...so i said...hmmm...i think i will make a cell phone of cement in memory of the phone...and that is what i did...

this cell phone art was an ordeal...i tell u it was...i got styrofoam that florists use and cut it into small squares...then, i covered it with concrete patch and put thingies on it...and then i drew off the cell phone and put concrete patch on it and attached the small thingies...and then i painted the thing...it was like a forever project...see...

here is a one & a 2...the one is an old penny...and the 2 is a cloth tape measure that is from my mama winnie's sewing kit...


 here is the 3 which is a domino and a 6...a die of course...


here is the asterisk thing made of nails and a 0 which was cut off a car tag...


i set an old watch on four o'clock...and the 7 is a 7 off an old keyboard...old keyboards are cool...


i tore up some charm bracelets to do this part of the keyboard...


here are some close ups of the comments...i hope they make u think...







so...i entered it into the fair...and it hung there for a week and didn't get one single award or ribbon...and it was stuck in a corner so no one could see it...so i decided if the fair judges didn't like my art then i wouldn't put my art in the fair anymore...and i didn't...after all, it wasn't a flower...and if it ain't a flower, well it ain't got power to win at the georgia national fair in perry, georgia!...i mean i guess the judges are some kinda botanical gardens freaks that love magnolias...i haven't got anything against painting magnolias, but
art ain't all about magnolias...unless ur the grateful dead singing a song about magnolias...and paint a bus and name it "Sugar Magnolia"...cause that is SWEET ART!...here is Grateful Dead's tour bus called "Sugar Magnolia."..


guess who bought the tour bus a couple of years ago for $200,000+...Eddie Munster...Remember him?


weird...how i could start out this post with thots of Bible School and art activities with concrete patch and end up with eddie munster...?

Grateful Dead, 1970

Sugar magnolia, blossoms blooming, head's all empty and I don't care,

Saw my baby down by the river, knew she'd have to come up soon for air.


Sweet blossom come on, under the willow, we can have high times if you'll abide,
We can discover the wonders of nature, rolling in the rushes down by the riverside.


She's got everything delightful, she's got everything I need,
Takes the wheel when I'm seeing double, pays my ticket when I speed.


Well, she comes skimmin' through rays of violet, she can wade in a drop of dew,
She don't come and I don't follow, waits backstage while I sing to you.


Well, she can dance a Cajun rhythm, jump like a Willy's in four wheel drive.
She's a summer love in the spring, fall and winter. She can make happy any man alive.


Sugar magnolia, ringing that bluebell, caught up in sunlight, come on out singing,
I'll walk you in the sunshine, come on honey, come along with me.


Sometimes when the cuckoo's crying, when the moon is half way down,
Sometimes when the night is dying, I take me out and I wander around, I wander 'round.


Sunshine, daydream, walking in the tall trees, going where the wind goes
Blooming like a red rose, breathing more freely,
Light out singin', I'll walk you in the morning sunshine
Sunshine, daydream. Sunshine, daydream. Walking in the sunshine.
She's got everything delightful, she's got everything I need,

5 comments:

  1. I would have given you a ribbon. Very creative. Old fuddy, duddy judges don't think out of the box.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely entered in the wrong place. I think it's terrific. The title of your post really grabbed me today - I HAD to look and see what it was about.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Git all up in the GA National Fair's face about those flowers!!! I love the cell phone...post it on Junk Market Style, they will love it on that site!

    ReplyDelete