Thursday, January 20, 2011

andy warhol, frida kahlo, vincent, and a very long piece of string....

by karen #1965 third grade teacher so u see i have this friend that likes art and has learned some stuff about art cause she hangs out with me...and she went on a trip to disney world...and she brought me some art back...and i just thot it was so cool...so i thought...blog worthy!....

so i guess i will just show u what i got & go from there...


cute, huh?...well it gets cuter...these things are called "the original string doll gang"...my string doll is andy...check out the real andy below...


now don't u see the resemblance?...well, i do...here is another view of my string art andy...check out the campbell's soup can...


what folks?...you don't remember andy warhol's campbell's soup cans?


i started being curious about why andy warhol painted soup cans...so, i googled...there are so many opinions out there...i liked this one...

Robert Indiana said : "I knew Andy very well. The reason he painted soup cans is that he liked soup."

check the tag out...


the tag below is where my brain flipped and the string doll gang entered the cool zone...don't you love it..?
"andy teaches you that anything can be art"


one more thing...this little gold bell is so cool...cause if you can't find ur keys in ur purse...u just move ur purse and hear the jingle bell jingling...


so...what is the story of the original string doll gang?
well, here is the website...
to sum it up in a few lines...
these handcrafted, itty-bitty backpack buddies and cell phone charms are super cool. The Original String Doll Gang, a line of 100-plus characters, are each made from a continuous piece of string and possess a special power (the ability to help kids fly through homework, for example)...now these folks in asheville, north carolina actually own the company...a husband and wife team...they have 2 groups of string doll artists that make the dolls...and they proudly said that they maintain fair trade practices...here are the gals from thailand at work...looks pretty chillaxing to me...


so...
here is vincent...


and frida...


so...these girls in thailand...just doing their art...and so...these artists got their world on a string...

Frank Sinatra, 1953

I've got the world on a string

Sitting on a rainbow
Got the string around my finger
What a world what a life
Ooh I am in love

I've got this song that I sing
I can make the rain go
Anytime I move my finger
Lucky me can't you see
I am in love


Life is a beautiful thing
As long as I've got a hold of that string
I'd be a silly so-and-so
If I should ever let go


I got the world on a string
Sitting on a rainbow
Got the string around my finger
Lucky me can't you see
I am in love!

YouTube Frank Sinatra

happy january 20, 2011!

No comments:

Post a Comment