Wednesday, October 6, 2021

Clay Tiles Made With Slab Roller

Once upon a time, we did a lesson like this. The link is here 
I teach a 3D Art class in middle school. This class is rather popular, so this quarter I had 2 of them. I had to stay very organized to pull this off...anyone else feel me on that situation? We use low fire clay and a tabletop slob roller. I introduced kids to Bas Relief. We reviewed terms that related to this clay lesson. 
 
Vocabulary:
Slip and Score
Greenware and Bisque
Overglaze
Bas Relief
Kiln
Slab Roller
Wedge
 
 Here are 6 essential stages of clay: We discussed them in detail. This was pretty much a review for my past students but for anyone new to our school this was a good catch me up!

1.) Slip. Slip is clay with added water to make it into a paste or liquid. ...
2.) Wet clay. Wet clay is used by many potters to produce their work. ...
3.) Leather-hard clay. ...
4.) Dry clay. ...
5.) Bisque. ...
6.) Glaze ware.

Scroll down to see how they turned out. We had a few with "issues" that blew up. Helpful Hint: For when this happens, I always have basic white tiles for students to design and glaze. This is great to know when you have a kiln party foul during a firing. Ha!
 
Good to see you, 1969
 





















 

No comments:

Post a Comment