Tuesday, July 11, 2017

Why Art Scouts was good for my SOUL?

As I sit and wrap my head around tackling this blog post with so much to say, I do believe this graphic by John Osebold sums it all up for all of us Art Educators....MAKE ART! Yes, that is why Art Scouts was a fabulous Professional Development for me. I am entering a new chapter in my life and the cool thing is that this graphic was sent to me by my daughter's college volleyball coach. Thanks, Coach Harris! I sure do love the way other educators think outside the box.

My sister and I have made a conscious effort to "make art" together over the years.  We have had a blast doing this, so you can imagine a sister road trip that involved PD for our schools was an added bonus.

1965 blogged last week on Art Scouts. Check her post out here: http://2soulsisters.blogspot.com/2017/07/art-scouts-trip-review-by-2-soul-sister.html
The break out sessions at Art Scouts were really nice, but my favorite thing was connecting with other Art Teachers. Yep, most of them got use to our 2 Soul Sister Shenanigans before it was over! One night we made arrows. I saw this post on Instagram and thought it was pretty awesome to hang near my arrow or off of it...It is still a work in progress.
Moving on to the felting! This was just awesome. I didn't have much experience with this medium and I am so glad to have found it as I am in LOVE!!! Ginger, you did a great job with all of the resources.









Once a Chi Omega always a Chi-O, so what did I felt up? An owl, whooottty whooooo! I think this little guys was kinda cute! I also made a painter's palette. I liked its potential and will more than likely use it on out Christmas Tree this year!
The Painted Paper session was a great experience as we used different techniques and mixed media. I can see some of these ideas being used in our art curriculums vertically and horizontally depending on the UbD lessons that are being taught. Thanks Jennifer and Laura! You all gave me lots to ponder and incorporate.

If you are curious on some of the lessons from all of the art scouts that have a social media presence, then use the #artscouts2017 or #artscouts and conduct a search. You will find some wonderful ideas for your lessons this year in your classroom.
The Highwaymen will be a cool unit to incorporate in my units this year. I am super excited about the possibilities. For more information check out this website: http://www.floridahighwaymenpaintings.com/
 
In the early 1950’s through the 1980’s a group of twenty-six African-American artists known as the "Florida Highwaymen" used vivid and bright colors to display the beautiful untouched Florida landscape. The Florida Highwaymen painted wind-bent palm trees, serene sunsets, churning oceans and bright red Poinciana trees. They painted from their garages and back yards on inexpensive Upson board and then on the weekends they would travel and sell their Highwaymen paintings to hotels, offices, businesses and individuals who appreciated the artwork for around $25 a piece.



Love this oath! Pretty much sums it all up!
The calm before the storm!
The below piece of art was made from colored modeling clay. I have never thought of using  this medium in this type of studio process before. I plan on exploring soon with my fellow art teacher's at Maclay School.
We Cochran sisters share a love of art, music and printing. Yes, this was my purchase at the Johnny Cash Museum. You can actually make your own prints here: http://hatchshowprint.com/current-work/custom-designs-posters

No words needed....road trip and lots of Snap Chats! We do love to take photos =)
Cassie, we loved the clay session with you. Can't wait to try out some of the ideas and tricks of the trade that you shared. Yes, loved the book and I can't wait to share the ideas with my students. Your visuals in the book are spot on and easy to follow!
Cheers to all of our new Art Teacher Friends.
Why Art Scouts was good for my SOUL? You see, at this stage in my life it is about  who you are and where you want to go from this very spot. (Age 47)  I want to continue to grow professionally and personally. This trip allowed me to do just that with new art friends to connect with, crazy memories with my sister and new art ideas and techniques to share with others to help their successes. We have had lots of "life" hit us over the past few years and I know making art helps us heal and deal. If you know me you know I say things like:
  • When people show you their true colors believe them!
  • Words hurt and you can't take them back.
  • Bless their hearts
  • Wow, I got no words....(I seem to be using this one more and more)
  • UJCMTSU - my famous text of "You just can't make this stuff up"
  • Don't talk at me - talk to me
  • I don't know YET, but we can figure it out. 
So for the past 26 years, July rolls around and I have an inner voice that is saying
"You need to create again!" "You need to create to get to know yourself" "You need to create to know your soul's voice" - Create because it brings you joy! So now that summer is closing and school supplies are already out at Target and Walmart. I have now ordered my planner so I can create super cool lessons for me and my kiddos this year. Yep, let the planning begin!

Thanks Art Scouts for inspiring some of my lessons to be taught this year.

Start your year off on the right foot with the 2017/2018 Art Teacher planner. It was made specifically for art teachers by me, a fellow art teacher! In your planner you get everything you need to help you have an organized and successful school
The above symbol stands for - "Guidance through rough weather"...well, you see 1969's daughter needed a tire cover for her Jeep. We saw this symbol last year in Iceland. We looked and looked for a cool design. Finally, she just said I would like to make a custom cover. This was her design. I think it symbolizes more than one thing...but for me it is about having a sister help you get through the good and the bad times! Thanks, 1965 for being an awesome big sis. I am glad we share the passion of art together and the love of Jack White!

No comments:

Post a Comment