Monday, February 10, 2014

painting my Bible and such

by Karen #1965 third grade teacher So I decided that I wanted to do something artsy to my Bible.  First I tried this technique called Image Transfer Video. You had to use laser copies, Golden gel medium matte, a magic eraser (in the kitchen supplies at grocery store-weird), a palette knife, and a brayer. (almost as many ingredients as a Pioneer Woman recipe)  So you don't know who the Pioneer Woman is? Here is her link The Pioneer Woman.  Here is her photo with all those doggone ingredients.
So back to my Bible blog.  You needed a lot of luck also with this image tranfer method....Oh my, this didn't work right the first time...or the second time...After I had to scrape all the gook off the third time, I tossed that idea. I usually do not give up on a project, but I scratched this one.  There was no magic happening with my magic eraser.  I had to nix the image transfer method for the Bible.

Next Bible idea was to paint it.  So, I researched online how to paint leather. There is nothing out there folks.  I decided that I would lightly sand the burgundy color off of my Bible. So I used a small hand sander.  I mean this thing was looking rough, but you could still see some of the shiny burgundy paint. I decided to sand a little by hand, but got tired of sanding.  It was pretty rough and I figured I would go for it.  Then, I started painting my Bible with acrylic paint.  Well, obviously I hadn't sanded enough.  There was still some original glaze that prevented the acrylic from sticking to the Bible.  So, once again, I had to restart.  I peeled the paint off the Bible.  Once I was sure all the original glaze was off the Bible, I painted with acrylic again.  I got the entire Bible painted.  I let the Bible sit a few days and then put a coat of polyurethane on the Bible.  Oh, it was looking good.  Only thing, no reading my Bible on these days.  Had to use the Bible app on my phone.  Take a look.....
So.  I still was not happy.  The gold pages just didn't look right.  So I smushed my Bible together, and sanded the gold off the pages of my Bible. Once all the gold was off, I used tie dye that I dye shirts with to dye all three sides of my Bible.  Take a look...

Then, I had lots of pics left over from when I was going to use the image transfer method (dumbest idea ever!).  So I cut the pictures out and slapped some modge podge on the pages and voila!

Below is p. 1210.  It is 1 Corinthians 13.  I guess this is my favorite chapter in the Bible.  I had a big "God Wink" moment not to long ago with this group of verses.  

So what is a God Wink?  An event or personal experience, often identified as coincidence, so astonishing that it is seen as a sign of divine intervention, especially when perceived as the answer to a prayer.  Also, When God Winks is a book.  I have not read it yet, but I will sometime.  Here is what it looks like...
Here is what it is about...

The Author applies his compelling theory as to why coincidences exit to fascinating stories in history sports, medicine, and relationships involving both everyday and famous people including Barbra Streisand, Charles Schulz, Oprah Winfrey, Kevin Costner, Mark Twain, and Presidents John Adams and Thomas Jefferson.

Shutting it down with a Seinfeld "wink" episode Seinfeld Wink Episode


happy monday, february 10, 2014


No comments:

Post a Comment