Thursday, March 21, 2024

Let's Get Groovy: How to Draw and Paint a Disco Ball!

 















Put on your dancing shoes and let's get started! This lesson was so much fun to teach. Have you ever been to a disco party? One of the most iconic decorations you'll find at a disco is the dazzling disco ball. With its mirror-like surface reflecting light in every direction, it adds a touch of magic to the dance floor. Today, we're going to capture that magic on paper and create our very own disco ball masterpiece!

To be honest, I love a good disco ball. I even put one in my daughters room as a baby. Not kidding! It is still there. I just created a canvas that makes me giggle. See below. Yep, I hung a disco ball down from it too. Do I have one in my classroom? Absolutely, don't you? Ha!



Materials Needed:
  • Pencil
  • Eraser
  • Paper
  • Paintbrushes
  • Watercolor or acrylic paints
  • Palette
  • Water cup
National Standards:
  • Visual Arts Standard 1: Understanding and applying media, techniques, and processes.
  • Visual Arts Standard 2: Using knowledge of structures and functions.
  • Visual Arts Standard 3: Choosing and evaluating a range of subject matter, symbols, and ideas.
  • Visual Arts Standard 4: Understanding the visual arts in relation to history and cultures.
  • Visual Arts Standard 5: Reflecting upon and assessing the characteristics and merits of their work and the work of others.

In researching how to teach students how to draw a disco ball, I found this resource to be delightful https://mrstfoxresources.com/ Check her out. I think you will be impressed too! We have blogged on disco balls before. See below for other lessons.

https://2soulsisters.blogspot.com/2016/03/forgotten-disco-balls.html

https://2soulsisters.blogspot.com/2024/01/penguins-at-disco.html

On Pinterest there are several resources on how to draw a disco ball. Just type in what you are looking for to get the best results. I found this resource on Google: https://iheartcraftythings.com/disco-ball-drawing.html

3 teacher tips: 

  1. Use a frisbee for the circle
  2. Use ice cube trays to help with tints of paint
  3. *Honestly, the more I teach this lesson the more efficient I become with the "ins and outs" of how to effective teach this with better results each time. Yes, I now have a folder of several options on how to draw disco balls for student references.
So let's get your party started by creating an amazing disco ball! - 1969

No comments:

Post a Comment