Monday, September 9, 2019

What's the Beef with Popeye's New Chicken Sandwich?



Okay, so this is not a blog post about art 🎨.  It is a blog post about a tired art teacher that did not want to cook.  Also, this tired art teacher was curious about the Popeye's chicken sandwich hype.  So, here is the rundown.

I noticed on the way home from school on a Friday afternoon that there was a line of cars 🚗🚘🚙 backed up on the main road.  The line appeared to be coming from Popeye's.  I did not think about it too much.  By Friday afternoon, I do not think much about anything because I am old  and tired 😫.

So, my daughter, Callie 👩, just happened to be coming home for a visit.  When she arrived, she asked us had we heard about the Popeye's chicken sandwich.  She explained that is was being called better than the Chick-fil-A sandwich.  I found this interesting.  I found this almost impossible.  Obvious, being the curious person that I am, I tucked the chicken sandwich thought back in my old and tired 😫 brain.  

Sunday night comes and I decide to give the Popeye's chicken sandwich a whirl.  I pull in and get in line at the drive through.  The line was almost to the main road, but not quite. 🚗🚘🚙  I felt hopeful 😊 as cars began to move.  Then, I see the Popeye's employees coming out of the restaurant.  I thought, what the heck?  They start taking their hand and running across neck like meaning cut over and over.  Dumb me, I yell what are y'all doing out the window.  They said no more chicken sandwiches. 😞😧😬

So the next day, I pull in and I see there is a small line.  I decide to wait.  I get up to the drive through ordering spot and there is a sign that says "machine out of order, pull around".  I pull around and then there is a sign on the drive through window that says no chicken sandwich. 😭

So the next day, I decide to call.  This is Tuesday.  I call and they say the chicken sandwiches will be in Thursday.  I immediately know what we are having for supper on Thursday. 😎😍😂

Thursday finally arrives.  I pull in.  Here is how it went down.

7:11 PM  The line was L O N G.  I hopped in.  

7:15 PM The red car gives up and parks.  I guess they decided to be walk in customers.


7:16 PM  The line is moving.  I can see the order machine.  I feel like I am seeing water in the desert.



7:17 PM  I look and see the long line forming behind me.  I am so happy because I am not last anymore.  I feel real great about my situation.  Life is good.



 7:19 PM  I have made it!  I have made it!  I see the sign!  I see a picture of the chicken sandwich.  My man is going to be so happy with his supper.  I have sacrificed time and gas for this meal.


7:22 PM The order is complete!  Only minutes (I hope) and I will have the bag with the sandwiches in my car.


7:28 PM  Look what song is playing when I am almost to the drive through window.  "You're the One That I Want"!



7:46 PM I take my first bite as I watch The Great British Bake Off! See Sue Perkins in the background?  I wonder which sandwich that Sue would like?  Paul and Mary should do a Great Britain Chicken Sandwich Fry Off!



So, what are my thoughts?

Well, the Popeye's chicken sandwich is good.  Real good.  The chicken seemed a bit thicker.  The chicken was very juicy.  I do not eat pickles, so I took the pickles off.  Some people are digging the pickles.  The chicken had a crispy crust.  Great sandwich!  

Do I like it better than Chick-fil-A?
Hmmmmmm.  Can I say I like them equal?  

I mean, I love CFA.  The CFA started in Georgia and is still based in Georgia.  Popeye's started in New Orleans and is now based out of Miami.

I love Georgia.

So, maybe I like the Chick-fil-A sandwich best.

After all, Chick-fil-A is the Godfather of Chicken Sandwiches.  Loyalty is everything to the Godfather.


Here's John and Olivia in 1978.  The Chick-fil-A sandwich had already been around for 14 years.  I doubt John Travolta or Olivia Newton John had had one though.  But, what do I know?



1965

No comments:

Post a Comment