Monday, July 1, 2019

Painted Paper and Cutting Skills-Executive Functioning Skills

For this summer, I have made a promise to myself about being intentional with my teaching efforts, philosophy and my own professional development. You see I started teaching right out of college in 1991. Each year I see more and more students lacking in executive functional skills. This lesson was taught to see how many of my 8th graders would have issues with their cutting skills. I can say that I do see a significant difference in students' behavior in my class from 1991 to 2019. The use of scissors seems to be a skill that is lacking. Crazy, right? Read on for more information.
Great links for teachers and parents:
The buzz word for our 2019-2020 school year is Executive Function.
What is an Executive Function Skill?
I just finished the required Professional Development for our school's Book Club.
More information can be found on this website:
Bottom line - I had mixed feelings about this book as a parent and a teacher. Check it out and see what you think about it.

The art lesson taught here was really about making the painted paper pieces with the left-over paint at the end of the quarter. I decided to later have the art students cut out shapes to create feathers for their birds. Really simple, but a great amount of data was collected for me and how I wanted to use my time this summer to best effectively tackle my classroom and student needs for the following fall.
Stay tuned. I also set a goal of reading 30 books this year and I am at 14 as of now! If you know me, you know I stay in the road these days driving to Memphis to see daughter and driving to Georgia to check on my parents. So, I do lots of audio books - but I am loving it!

How are you growing this summer? Are you being intentional on your professional growth and development?


No comments:

Post a Comment