Wednesday, August 2, 2017

Futurism Patriotic Liberty Bell Art Project

Like my Liberty Bell in Motion?

What is Futurism?  
Futurism was an artistic and social movement that originated in Italy in the early 20th century. It emphasized speed, technology, youth, and violence, and objects such as the car, the airplane, and the industrial city. 
Here is a 1:37 minute video that explains Futurism.  
So, what has The Liberty Bell got to do with Futurism?  I was trying to come up with a project for the 4th Grade.  They study a unit called "Why America is Free" Click Here for More Info.  I talked to my art teacher buddy, Laura, and she suggested look at Giacomo Balla's "Dynamism of a Dog on a Leash."  Remember this piece of art?

Laura suggested that I do The Liberty Bell in motion.   I really thought this was a cool idea.  I did the Liberty Bell example above for my students to see.  

Directions:

I explained to the kids how to do the project.  I told them to trace the Liberty Bell.  Then, they would rotate the Liberty Bell slightly and trace again.  They SEEMED to understand the project.  Ha. Ha.
I gave the kids a Liberty Bell to trace and told them they would put the Liberty Bell on the lunchroom windows to trace.  I told them they would trace the Liberty Bell and slightly rotate the bell.  Then, they would trace again.

We went to the lunchroom and the kids lined up against the windows and doors to trace the Liberty Bells.  A few minutes passed and I realize that this project was too much for the kids.  They could not keep the liberty bell lined up.  Their arms began to hurt.  Oh my, what a mess!

Seriously, we shut the project down.  I took them outside and we played sharks and minnows.  We all needed stress relief.

Sometimes projects do not work.  This was one of those times.  Maybe you can make it work with older kids.  
Did I give up on the project?  Well, I like to think that I found a remedy.  I put the kids in motion and the Liberty Bells in the trash.  

💙
1965

No comments:

Post a Comment