Thursday, March 11, 2010

Frederic Remington Art Lesson

Our music teacher needed a backdrop of kids art for one of her musicals. Being the kind of teacher that likes to introduce lots of art history to our students - I researched. I didn't just want to produce some "craft" backdrop for the musical. Yep, we put the artist spin on it and studied Mr. Remington.  So, I asked about the musical and it was an out "WEST" theme. I thought about it and figured it would be great for our 2nd grade to do a unit on Frederic Remington. Here are a few of our pieces. This was a great unit to teach because lots of our students are really into horses & they seem to LOVE the OLD WEST!   


Mike Venezia does a wonderful job at explaining about certain artist in his (Getting to Know the World's Greatest Artists)  You can check out the reviews on amazon for this. Click here to go to the Frederic Remington Museum. Ernest Lloyd Raboff has another book that is a really good resource to study this artsit.

"I knew the wild riders and the vacant land were about to vanish forever... and the more I considered the subject, the bigger the forever loomed. Without knowing how to do it, I began to record some facts around me, and the more I looked the more the panorama unfolded." ---  Frederic Remington
Giddy Up! x0x, 1969

3 comments:

  1. Hi there! Just stopping by to say hi...I'm a fellow fishbowl classmate. Thanks for your message over at my blog. Yes, yes...still pondering over those words and coming up with a few more. Looking forward to getting to know you all better and seeing what this part of our journey together reveals to us. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello! What a great blog this is. I have lots of questions after reading through some of this (I'm making a career change, heading in this direction)... See you in the fish bowl! I'm very excited for this journey we're all on together.

    ReplyDelete