Friday, September 23, 2022

Santos Orellana Color Unit

Have you ever done a study with Santos Orellana? If not, pretty cool to teach. Here is his website link https://www.theartofsantos.com/ You can learn more about his life story here: https://www.theartofsantos.com/the-story
 

Born in Honduras, surrounded by the legacy of the indigenous culture of the Maya, Santos belongs to the ancient worlds of temple-pyramids, sprawling lost cities, and a vast array of visual arts. Arriving in Newburgh, New York he found himself amidst street art and urban jungles. The symbolism from these vastly different worlds combine to define his unique aesthetic.

Artist Statement: "Basically what I do is create pictures which I believe to be a byproduct of an exercise that is purely dependent on maintaining a balance between the conscious and the subconscious. Through this practice I am able to tap into memories which for whatever reason until that point were unavailable to me. Now 11 years later I am convinced that this game gives me great insight into who I was, who I am now and maybe even provides me with a glimpse into who I may become in the near and or distant future."

Here is an informative article on Santos: https://www.chicagotribune.com/sdea-santos-orellana-artist-leucadia-2014jul31-story.html
I took the time to teach Santos' story. I followed up with a color unit. We discussed the colors of the rainbow and the order they flow. I instructed the students to create designs in Santos style. I used his style to do a deeper dive into a color unit.








Thanks for stopping by, 1969
 

No comments:

Post a Comment