Thursday, November 26, 2020

Rizzi, Pumpkins, and Perspective!


I have done this James Rizzi Pumpkin Perspective Project in the past with my 2nd graders.
Click HERE for James Rizzi 1 with pumpkin patch perspective

Directions:

I show some James Rizzi art.
(I do not show the entire video)

I give a general talk about perspective.
I put a crayon in each kid's face.
I tell the kids to measure the crayon with their 2 fingers.
Then I go to the farthest spot in the room and hold up the crayon.
I get them to hold their fingers up to measure the size of the crayon.
They are so amazed at how small the pumpkin is.
Also, we talk about the size of a boat in the ocean when you are standing on the shore.
If the weather is nice, I have taken the kids out to look at the big tree and showed them how small it is far away.
Lots of options, folks.

Then.

I draw hills on the board one at a time.
I tell the kids to thing about 3 different sized pumpkins.
I tell the kids to draw the largest pumpkin(s) on the first hill.
I tell them to draw the medium sized pumpkin(s) on the next hill.
I small pumpkin(s) on the hill that is farthest back in the drawing.
Believe it or not, they get it!

I encourage the kids to draw James Rizzi suns, moons, and birds on the art.  If they don't, I don't cry.

The kids paint with watercolor.

LšŸ‘€K!







šŸ’š, 1965

 

No comments:

Post a Comment