Monday, May 18, 2020

Kathleen, I sure do miss you! (How am I choosing to remember my friend)



During this pandemic, I have so wanted to pick up my phone and shoot Kathleen a text on how to wrap my head around Distance Learning. What does it look like? How to do it? What ideas can we brainstorm together. I decided to take a moment and create a piece of art to have in my house to remind me of her daily. You see, my friend Cathy, well...she went to Starry Night Studio and got one of Kathleen's paint tubes. It sat on my desk for over a month. Not one kid picked it up. Cathy was in my room for a Visual Arts Department meeting and she said - "Kim, do you realize this is Kathleen's thumb print indention in this paint tube?" Wow, I thought. I took it home and it stayed on my kitchen counter by my sink for another 2 months (Yes, I have trinkets that live their until I find just the right place for them to live in my house) What did I do? I made a shadow box. I took things about Kathleen and created a 5x7 picture for me. Yes, it is a symbol of friendship. It is one that will remind me to check in on my friends in the good times and bad times. May is mental help awareness month. I encourage you to reach out to your friends and check in with them. As we celebrate #MentalHealthMonth, it is important that we work together to thrive. Learn how can you help your loved ones during this difficult time: National Council For Behavioral Health


To learn more about Kathleen - follow this link: Kathleen Carter, You are still inspiring us from a far...
I could blog on her shenanigans for days...but I chose to select a few of the highlights to spot light her gifts and talents in the Art Education Community. 


eM Charm to learn more about our Empathy Initiative follow the links below:

Kathleen your sense of humor was just wonky. I loved it. I know you would love this Google advertisement for teachers. It is spot on!!! You would have thrived during this pandemic making connections all across the world wide web. Gosh, I miss you!

No comments:

Post a Comment