Friday, September 15, 2017

First Grade Night Owls and FRED

Ever heard of Billy Fred Hellams?  He is a folk artist from Anderson, South Carolina. We posted on him recently. 

Here is Billy Fred's Bio:
My name is Billy Fred Hellams. I was born August 10, 1955 on the road in Carolina and have always had an inquisitive and creative spirit. I am a self-taught artist who sculpts, paints, draws, assembles and juxtaposes media into my interpretations using mostly recycled materials.
My folk name is F R E D which is part of my true name and has several acronyms, Found Recycled Eclectic Designs and Folk Recycle Every Day.
This is “Why I Am”.

Here is Billy Fred:

Here is Billy Fred Hellams' owl:

In first grade, they are starting off the year with an owl theme.  To help boost their interest, I decided to do an art owl project.  
Directions:
Kids drew owl with oil pastel on brown paper that is cut like a tree.
Kids glued the owl and tree on a black sheet of paper.
Kids cut a moon and glued the moon to the black paper.
Kids used oil pastels and a stencil to make stars. 
I have no idea why I thought of this song from the 70s.  I do not think Billy Fred is going to mind if it does not really relate to his art.


1965

No comments:

Post a Comment