Tuesday, March 14, 2017

Carter, Bush, and Washington Grid Drawings...Oh My!!!! (How Maclay's 5th Grade Celebrated Presidents Day, 2017)


2 weeks ago I was walking down the hallway at Maclay School and I passed these portraits of our past Presidents. I was very impressed with this particular lesson as a grid lesson is a tough one to teach. I was thrilled to see this being taught in our lower school because this will help these students have a deeper understanding of this process when they get to Middle and Upper School Art at Maclay. Way to go 5th grade teachers for introducing this lesson in Social Studies.
Mrs. Sweeney, Mrs. Sims and Mrs. Ferraro always have their students involved in hands on engaging lessons. I should know. You ask, why? Well, each morning I cut through the lower school building to get to my Middle School Art Room. Sometimes I make this journey with our US Art Teacher, Ms. Maurey and we find ourselves on many occasions discussing the art in the hallways of Lower School at Maclay!
Once I saw these, I knew I wanted to do a blog post on them. I asked and received permission from the teachers. Thanks, guys! They are just too good not to share with others to inspire them for future lessons.
Where can you  purchase this lesson? Well, I found it on this link below at Teachers Pay Teachers.
https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Presidential-Portraits-Art-Project-373415

Students create a 12x18 patriotic portrait using the grid technique. There are prepared source images for every president, name labels for the finished portraits, examples, viewfinder tools, and; templates to help with the designs. Recently updated with brand new illustrations of the presidents. 59 pages. PDF format.
 See a different approach to the subject matter on this link Presidents Mystery Grid Bundle.

www.outside-the-lines.com © Scott Cummins





Where to find other lessons and art blogs on this, see below and click the links:
How to set up a successful grid drawing can be found at the link below:
My personal favorite funky portraits of our Presidents:
https://www.penleyartco.com/collections/giclees
http://revolverwarholgallery.com/portfolio/jimmy-carter-150/
https://www.artbrokerage.com/Peter-Max/JFK-John-F-Kennedy-1989-89109
Nothing like a Penley, Warhol or Max Presidential Portrait! I do believe Penley is my all time favorite.


If you need more details on how to explain the Grid Method see the Youtube clips below:




I am so blessed to work at a school where the Arts aren't hidden and they are used in cross curricular project based lessons. Thanks 5th grade teachers for letting me share your student art! I think these are way super fabulous just like you guys...1969

No comments:

Post a Comment