Thursday, March 16, 2017

Big Mouth Billy Bass and First Grade Fish

Say what?
Okay, so you have to realize that we live in a rural area and people are very into hunting and fishing.  Seriously.  I mean very seriously into hunting and fishing.
So where did this project come from?
For some reason I was just sitting and thinking about what first grade could make with clay.  I decided on a fish.  I googled fish and Big Mouth Billy Bass popped up on my screen.  I thought, THAT IS IT! 
Directions:

I gave the kids a small slab.
They cut a fish of their choice.
They used simple tools to make designs in the fish.

About an hour after they left, I attached the fish to a slab.  Then, I put paper towels under each side of the fish so the sides of the fish would prop up, like a real mounted fish.
Later, I carved their name and date on the fish.

I fired.
They painted.
I painted over where I had carved their name and date on the fish.

Here is a look at the process.
What else would I end with?  

1965

No comments:

Post a Comment