Friday, January 13, 2017

TAB, UbD Elements and Principles Unit for Middle School Underwater Theme


Not every lesson I do is TAB, but I do find a happy medium in each lesson to give each student a way in which to use their talents and gifts along the way.  This lesson in particular, I had a theme of underwater and texture. How to create both by using their choice of mediums.
I ran across this article and it was a pretty good read.
This is a work in progress for me and I am going on my 26th year of teaching art. I find in order to get student's personal best, I need to continually have open conversations with them about their art. This requires lots of interaction in each class. I have my middle school students for 1 9 week quarter on a rotating wheel. I'm constantly walking around, discussing with students about the process for creating the particular lesson at hand. I'm also asking them questions, demonstrating and giving advice. It creates a more  of a relaxed environment for all creative juices to flow.
I find they're willing to take more risks because they aren't creating the exact same project, so the competition is gone. This is huge when entering local contest. I can have the sane themed art lesson but can enter in different categories because of the mediums chosen, Make sense?
Here the artist wanted to experiment with salt techniques and watercolor.
Love this one above and the perspective with the layers of yummy paint. Oh, so fun to watch this one take place in the art room.
Amazing sea horse. Looks very graphic to me as in it would make a cool stamp or pillow. How does a TAB lesson look in my room? Well, I teach in a backwards design. (Understanding by Design) Currently, I'm picking the theme and my students pick the subject and materials. For example, this lesson was an underwater theme / beach. I incorporate some mandated element or principle in the lesson via a check list.  Students are creating art with different subjects related to my overall theme of the specific lesson involved. They are showing their understanding of the student learning expectations.





Google Docs from the video with Johanna Russell

Below are the worksheets I use to help me wrap my head around my units for the 9 weeks.





This is my Understanding by Design Guideline for my 9 week Quarter Lessons. I hope you find it helpful. I have combined many ideas online and put them into this one document. Special thanks to 
Krista Voorhis, Montclair High School. I ran across her CURR 530 unit online and was able to spin it into the document that I needed for my classes. I hope this helps you wrap your head around these concepts. If you have any questions feel free to contact me at my school email kdaniel@maclay.org
Happy Planning - 1969 







No comments:

Post a Comment