Wednesday, January 4, 2017

Keepsake Art with Grandma's 1987 Sauer's Spice Boxes

Say wha?
Occasionally, I find myself saving weird things.  My grandmother passed away in 1987 and I inherited these 4 spice boxes.  The spice boxes are about 30 years old.  The Stick Cinnamon, Celery Seed, Oregano, and Ginger, (some with spices still in them) were in my spice cabinet until very recently.  Obviously, I did not use these spices.  You see, my grandmother was a great cook.  I have always thought that having her spices in my kitchen might improve my cooking.  Well, I have been cooking 29 years and no luck.  Notta.  So, I decided to pass on the 4 boxes to my family members in the form of art.
Details:
I purchased the small wooden boxes from Walmart.  (see below) 
First, I painted the boxes white.
Then, I used E6000 to attach the spice boxes to the wood. 
Once the spice box was secure, I painted random memories of my grandmother on the box. A standout memory is what she said after she finished eating one of her yummy, southern meals.  She always said, "This sho' is good, even if I do say so myself."  
I included other things about growing up with Ma Wini painting all around the box.  I have food, places, aunts, uncles, cousins, things, and even her phone number, as a tribute to the first Paula Deen.

Check out the spice of the oregano.  A whopping 23 cents!
g
It's a NEW YEAR, everybody!
Listen to the Spice Girls and "Spice Up Your Life!"

1965

No comments:

Post a Comment