Tuesday, April 12, 2016

Deja Vu Rooster Experience

No, you are not having a Deja Vu Rooster Experience.  I actually did a blog post on Mrs. Greer's 5th Grade "roosters" on March 31, 2016.  Click here for previous post.  I had seen these roosters at Big City Bread Café in Athens, GA, and I could not seem to determine the artist.  I had emailed Big City Bread, but they are busy making bread and I did not find out the artist before the post.  Well, soon after I blogged about the cool roosters, I shared the post on Facebook with BCBC.  Once the bread was done, they told me the artist was Peter Loose.
 
 
What about Peter Loose?
 
 

Peter Loose was born May 2, 1963 in Silver Spring, Maryland.
Growing up, Peter found school difficult, though he managed to finish school as well as college. Upon completing his education, he went to work for the state park service at the Athens Sandy Creek Nature Center in Georgia. He has lived in Georgia since working at the nature center. Frustration on the job led him to try his hand at expressing his feelings through paint. He found that acrylics gave him the color and texture he wanted and he began creating upbeat interpretations of the natural world, especially animals.
Now he paints on any surface — canvas, roofing shingles, boards, window screens and whatever he can get his hands on. He also builds animal-shaped birdhouses, and dulcimers painting them with multiple layers. Sometimes he will also add texture with coffee beans, peanut shells and repetitive dots.
Peter’s art reflects his love of animals. He and his wife Sandy live with a menagerie of animals including dogs, chickens, pigs, goats, an iguana. Peter is probably best known for depicting his best buddy and Bongo the dog.
Loose’s work is in the permanent collection of Savannah’s Telfair Art Museum and was exhibited in Baltimore at the American Visionary Art Museum. His
collectors and fans are far and wide.

During the artist discovery process, I found that Peter Loose has written a children's book or 2.  For the history behind the books, read this article.  Cute book cover!
 
 
Okay, so here's the rest of the artwork.  Once again, the students took the roosters and made them their own.  I absolutely loved the way the kids expressed themselves through their artwork.
 











 
A big thanks to Big City Bread Café in Athens, GA, for helping me discover the artist.  And to Peter Loose, the kids in Perry, GA, at The Westfield School, love your roosters!
 
My School, The Westfield School, was named Westfield because it was a field west of Perry.  This reminds me of a song by R.E.M. of Athens, GA, known as "West of the Fields." 
 
I love Athens, Ga.
I love R.E.M.
I love Big City Bread Café in Athens, Ga.  YUMMY
I love my school, The Westfield School, in Perry, GA.
and
I just love Peter Loose Art.
 
Have a listen.
 

 
1965

No comments:

Post a Comment