Kim & Karen 2 Soul Sisters

Kim & Karen 2 Soul Sisters

Wednesday, February 10, 2016

What? Chop up my Art to Make a HEART?

Yes, the kids were required to chop up their art to make this heart. 
 
I did not start off with this project in my head, but this is where we ended up.  
 
Honestly, I was not happy with the first "Matisse Style" cut out art.  They looked unfinished.  So, I had an idea.  I pitched the idea to the kids.  With a little discussion, they decided to plunge in a new direction with their Matisse cut outs.
 
Here is the end result.
 


 
Directions:
 
For the first class period, I talked about Henri Matisse.  I explained how he used cut-outs in his later years. 
The kids made "Matisse Style" cut-outs.


 
For the next class period, I showed them Matisse's heart below.
I told them that they had to cut a heart that shape out of a construction paper of their choice.
Some students struggled with this, but eventually all the students were able to cut a Matisse shaped heart.



Once we got the "base" heart cut out, the kids had to chop their art from last week into squares or rectangles.  I told them they had to glue the squares/rectangles on the paper and they could not touch each other.
 
Once the shock of chopping up art was over, the kids pretty much rocked the project.
 


 

 
 

 
 
 
 
 
 
Keeping the heart theme going with a song by Stevie Nicks and Tom Petty singing "Stop Draggin' My Heart Around".
 

1965

No comments:

Post a Comment