Kim & Karen 2 Soul Sisters

Kim & Karen 2 Soul Sisters

Friday, May 8, 2015

Art Activity for When Pigasso Met Mootisse by Nina Laden

I wanted to do an art activity to go along with the book, When Pigasso Met Mootisse, by Nina Laden. 

Here is how the project turned out:

 
Directions:
 
Show the read aloud done by Eric Close on YouTube.
 

 
Next, have kids draw a rectangle on a piece of paper.  I  had pre-cut rectangles and had them place the rectangle on the paper.  I encouraged the kids to draw the rectangles in a cattywampus way.  I just wanted them to mix it up a little. 
 
 
Next, kids painted yellow around the rectangle.  Then, they sponged over the yellow with the famous Matisse shape sponges, made by me.  Matisse's construction paper was not as hard to cut as the sponges. (ugh)
 
 
 I showed the video below, just in case some kids were not sure how to draw a pig.



The kids drew a pig in the rectangle.  Many chose to add their own personal touch.  Love it!
 

 
The kids painted the pig and background with watercolor.


 




 
Also, I did do a little discussion about Pablo Picasso and Henri Matisse's friendship.  I explained they sometimes quarrelled.  The kids found this quite interesting and definitely could relate to the concept of a disagreement (especially in mid-May of the school year).  I love the plot in Nina Laden's book.  Everyone can relate to love-hate relationships and the quirkiness of people.  
 
So, I will end the post with two newer artists (2 Jacks) collaborating on a song.  Jack White and Jack Johnson performing in Hawaii on 4.15.15.  You gotta love this video! 
I guess the Jacks are friends since they are singing about being friends.
 

  
1965


No comments:

Post a Comment