We are 2 SISTERS on a MAGICALLY-DELICIOUS creative journey as we put our heart and SOUL into teaching students and inspiring other blog followers!
Karen Ray (Westfield School ~ Perry, Georgia)
Kim Daniel (Maclay School ~ Tallahassee, Florida)
Art Teachers - Art Education Blog
Kim & Karen 2 Soul Sisters
Monday, May 4, 2015
Art Activity for the book The Day the Crayons Quit by Drew Daywalt/OliverJeffers (illustrator)
My friend and co-worker gave me this book at the beginning of the 2015 school year. The book is The Day the Crayons Quit written by Drew Daywalt/Illustrated by Oliver Jeffers. Of course, the book is just amazing. I absolutely love it. I loved it so much that I did an art project to incorporate the book. I can assure you that this was not the easiest project, but the first grade kids will be enjoying their version of the book in the years to come.
Directions: First, I did the read aloud for The Day the Crayons Quit on YouTube.
Next, I put a chart up. The kids named objects for the different colors. I wrote down each object.
The kids were given a choice of crayon color they wanted to use to make their artwork. Also, I broke crayons and glued them to the paper for effect. The kids began to draw their illustrations for their chosen color. Some of the kids drew the same objects as were found in the book. Other kids were more adventurous and chose their own objects to draw. Many kids did more than one piece of art during this lesson.
The peach (above) was draw by a child that has had a peach farm in the family for generations. She loves peaches!
The child drawing above has chosen to draw a cherry blossom tree. At the time of the project, the cherry blossom trees were in full bloom in this area. In a local town, there was actually a cherry blossom festival going on!
After we were done with our version of The Day the Crayons Quit, I ran color copies of the different crayon information pages found in the book. Then, I placed the kid's artwork in their proper location. The video gives you an idea of how the project grew!
Once the project was together, I started binding the book with the school GBC machine.