Tuesday, April 13, 2010

SHOTGUN Shell Jewelry...Business Day Project


Well, we have made it to 5th grade in our school career with our daughter! Mary Frances had to create a Business Day project for school. The 5th grade teachers have this down to a Science! Let me tell you - the project is broken down into frequent deadlines with a follow-up rubric for grading. Kids have created many things over my 7+ years at this school. (melted crayons, bottle cap necklaces, food, cookies, drinks, slime, ...you get the idea) Well, the purpose of the project is for them to have a new perspective on how a small business is run from all aspects of the business. (This unit covers all subjects across the board!) They have to earn...fake $ through out the year (that is another blog post...cool idea though - helps them learn to balance a check book, too!) 

Anyway, they have to create a business, name it, advertise for it, buy a business licence for it and create the product without spending over a minimal amount of $. Yep, folks it is do-able! They can have donations and such...enough about the project...let us move on to MF's coolzy idea!

Well, about a year ago...when I was blog stalking others before I got the courage to start this one with 1965, I ran across this cool project that was jewelry made from shotgun shells! I showed MF and she was like Wahoooo....that is what I want to make in 5th grade. Ok, so we just happen to be on a friends hunting land and they were shooting skeet...I was like...ummm...can we have those shells when yall are done! They bagged them up and we brought them home.  If you follow the photos above, you will be able to figure out how we did them. 

I had tons of beads, jewelry findings and such in my studio at home left over from art camps that 1965 and I have done in the past.  Left Brain (Daddy) had all the electrical tools in his wood-working workshop! MF made 19 key chains, 1 bracelet and 63 necklaces.  She made 1 to keep for herself and not to sell. She is sporting it today at school to drum up some business for herself!  (Yes, 1965 if you are reading this...we saved you one too!) MF named her line of jewelry "I CALL SHOT GUN" Thought that was pretty clever and a play on her words, too! 

As a mom that works full time, when some of these school projects come home in the form of that dreaded homework...I am like...UGH! But this one, was one that we got all excited about! If you have any questions on how we made them, just leave it in the comments and I'll get back with you! I downloaded them all to Shutterfly in hopes that you can see all of them on this link. I hope it works!

Peace, Love and all things Artsy.....x0x, Kim 1969

12 comments:

  1. aunt 1965 wants to make a purchase!luv luv...

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are awesome!!! MF should get an "A" on this assignment, and she might even become a future creative entrepreneur : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic! Post them on junkmarketstyle.com...if not a member you'll have to join...they will LOVE these over there! I'd love one of them!
    Wonderful Job!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks arteachergirl...gonna check it out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We cut them off with a band saw. So super easy that way!

      Delete
  5. oh wow! Way to go! These look amazing! How on earth did you get the plastic casing off?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We cut them off with a band saw. So super easy that way!

      Delete
  6. I'd also like to know how to get the plastic casing off, as it's extremely hard to cut with scissors, and I'm a little leery of using an exacto knife lest i should cut off a fingertip.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I want to know how to make the casing flat? I have looked everywhere for an answer and this site has made it close but doesn't show how to make them flat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We cut them off with a band saw. So super easy that way!

      Delete
  8. I think what you have done for your class is wonderful. Teaching them many things. You're a great teacher.

    ReplyDelete