Sunday, February 14, 2010

Repurposing Valentine's Day Cards

Have you ever wondered what to do with all those Valentine's that come home after a school party? Well, let me show you how to Embrace Your Inner CHEEZINESS!  All you need is access to a laminator.
Ok, after 18+ years of teaching...I have found on Valentine Party day at school that I find lots of treasures on my desk throughout the day. So a couple of years ago, I had a friend suggest that we should laminate the valentines that our kids get and use them as place mats for the table. (This was 6 years ago when my daughter was in Kindergarten) I decided to do just that. Each year, she brings home the Valentines that are exchanged at school and we arrange and laminate them with this great laminator that my parental units gave me one Christmas. You cannot begin to imagine the uses that we have found for this machine!

As an art teacher and printer’s daughter…I just can’t buy those pre-boxed valentines, so it becomes a full out art project on what our valentine for the year should look like. My Left Brain (dear hubby) has just learned to accept that I do obsess over certain things…Christmas Cards and Valentine Cards. Yep, we want a true original…no boxed stuff for us!

This is what the table looks like with the finished product on it! We get them out year after year and we have just added to our collection over the last 6 years. We also include cards from grandparents too! Making memories in the name of ART!

For more information on the history of Valentines, click here.


So as I close with my post on this Valentine's Day...I will share the words on our daughter's Valentine's Card for 2010...(which we researched and got the words from the NECCO conversation hearts over the last few years)

Be Mine * Text Me * Love * U R A QT * Chill Out * Be Happy * Smile * Laugh * Take A Chance * Live Out Loud * Sweet Talk * Kiss Me * Love Life * Dream * Believe in Magic * x0x
Kisses * Happy Thoughts * U ROCK * Hugs * Puppy Love *
U R PURR-Fect
Happy Valentine’s Day, 2010 from 1969

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE this idea. I bet your kids ill look forward to using those mats every Valentines Day forever! I love lamenating things too, but this idea is the BEST!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you liked it. We use that heavy menu laminate like 10 mil (maybe 8) - it is sooooooo cheesy but a great conversation piece. Kinkos has that same laminator that we use. The laminate at the school is just too thin. Thanks for dropping by!

    ReplyDelete