Friday, February 12, 2010

pastels, a poster, and POP...art


by karen #1965 3rd grade teacher so we finished up early with our school work and i thought, why not art with some oil pastels & tempera paint cakes?so we got busy.talked about jim dine a bit.jim says, "For me, drawing is everything.. because it informs everything. It even informs my poetry. It’s the way I begin everything."..hey.think about it.where do kids begin exploring themselves?they begin exploring themselves in this crazy world through drawing...with crayons...i gotta tell you a crayon side story....did you know that in 1903 there were only 8 crayon colors?yep.now there are at least 120...what about the names?we went from orange to mango tango and from brown to fuzzy wuzzy brown.i even saw where crayons retired.magic mint and blizzard blue are both retired and living in florida....anyway...love the jim dine quote cause it is so true...as soon as kids can hold a crayon, we give them the byproduct of the tree and let them scribble madly...as they suck in the byproduct of a tree...they express with no worries, i tell you...no worries................the title of the post...pastels, well we used them in the project...a poster...well i have another side story.i was in college and my mr. o boyfriend (which became my mr. o husband) had bought me a jim dine poster for valentine's day.here is one of his posters...
i had just moved to an apartment & the land lady decided to paint the apartment after i moved in.so i come home to find a big mess by painters.one of the painters had put a gallon bucket of paint on my jim dine poster that my true love had given me for valentine's day.funny, he was a painter...but not a real painter.a real painter would know that buckets of paint do not belong on art...or do they?...think about it............i look inside myself and see my heart is black.I see my red door and it has been painted black (the rolling stones, 1966) happy february 12, 2010!
 
p.s.back to the title...POP...art...this refers to jim dine, of course...

No comments:

Post a Comment