Saturday, February 6, 2010

Art and The 3Day (Susan G Komen)




I have mentioned several times in this blog that art is everywhere. Well, it is. Last year, I had a friend send me a "shout out" email asking me to participate in a 3Day Breast Cancer Walk. You know how right brained folks are...I immediately responded - sure...this will be a fun adventure! (Looking back on it, I have to giggle because I feel sure my Left Brained husband just shook his head at me! Remember my sis #1965 has Mr. Opposite. I am married to Mr Left Brain!) My only stipulation was that I was not doing a 3Day in Atlanta because I use to live there. I think my exact words were...Atlanta is just to hilly. You see we use to run in the Peachtree Road Race in Atlanta. I know there are hills there as I am NO consistent runner..hee hee. I just knew it was awesome to have a Peachtree Road Race t-shirt. Heck, you had to earn that sucker! Hills and all. I will tell you that I would be 1/2 way into the race and going up some hill....running down the hill going the opposite way would be the winner of the race and he /she would be holding the t-shirt up! Yeah, baby....that is what would push me to get to the finish line!

So, we sign up. There are 3 of us. We end up in San Diego, California and each one of us has to raise $2,200.00 each. I researched the information packet. I saw that there was an art contest to enter. Yep, I had a 2nd grade art class help me make this really cool watercolor heart. It is kind of like a Jim Dine heart. The school did an outreach project and the money came in to help fight cancer. Did you see the cool heart at the top of this post? The heart was a lesson about a famous artist, but we also used it to teach about Warm and Cool Colors. Ironically, now...the Sonshine Committee at our school uses the photo of our 3Day heart to still send notes to our school families that need a "pick me up". Wow, this 3Day Adventure is a gift that just keeps on giving!

This subject is close to my heart because my MaWini had breast cancer. She and my mom are the the vintage photo at the start of this post. I walked in her memory. Because every woman is at risk for breast cancer - a disease that strikes at random and for which the causes and cures are still unknown - We know that every moment counts. Without a cure, an estimated 25 million women around the world will be diagnosed with breast cancer - and 10 million could die - over the next 25 years. With this adventure, not only was I able to teach my students about Jim Dine; but we were able to enter a contest with a theme. The theme was awesome ~ "Everyone deserves a life time"! Come to think of it- that theme would be a great name for a painting.
For me, for now- it was an adventure that made a lasting impression on me and my students. A year later, I still have kids coming into class sharing about loved ones being diagnosed with some form of cancer. I can relate to the pain the child has by being a part of this 3Day. I saw so much in just 3 short days and 60 miles all the way on the other side of the USA. If you have ever considered getting out of your comfort zone and doing something like a 3Day- I urge you to do it. I feel blessed to have been a part of such an amazing opportunity with 2 very spunky ladies. Art is everywhere and you can find a teach-able moment in just about anything that you do if you put your mind and heart to it!
X0X, #1969 (The Right Brain)

No comments:

Post a Comment